Indian Railways is probably the largest railway organization in the world when it comes to staff but also passengers as it transports commuters all over the country. The system as it is operated today has however suffered from underfunding, driven by a lack of revenue by Indian Railways. The high importance of the railways on the Indian sub-continent can be easily understood when looking at the management’s intention to raise ticket fares resulting in massive protests throughout the country.
Nevertheless, many railway related projects have been prepared for a long time and seem to get now significant traction. These projects are focused on targeting some of the most pressing issues: Electrification, new rolling stock and new dedicated freight railway links.
The currently most important projects include:
- Eastern Dedicated Freight Corridor
- Western Dedicated Freight Corridor
- Missamari – Tenga – Tawang Railway Line
- Bilaspur – Manali –Leh Railway Line
- Pasighat – Tezu – Rupai Railway Line
- North Lakhimpur – Bame – Silapathar Railway Line
- EMU purchasing project
- Diesel Locomotive Factory in Marhowra
- Electric Locomotive Factory in Madhepura